top of page

Data Protection Privacy Notice

This is the privacy notice for the office of Peter Grant MP, elected Member of the House of Commons for Glenrothes and Central Fife constituency.  


My contact details are as follows:  

Address: Castleblair Business Centre, Fullerton Road, Glenrothes, KY7 5QR  


Phone: 01592 759 335  



Why do you need my data and what will you do with it?  


As your MP if you approach me with an enquiry I need to collect personal data from you in order to progress your enquiry.  I am committed to ensuring that the information my office collects and uses is appropriate for this purpose and does not constitute an invasion of your privacy.   


I may also receive data about individuals from third parties such as where constituents raise queries or complaints about other people, and I access publicly available data such as that on the electoral register.  


The lawful basis for processing (collecting, storing and using) this data is Public Task in my role as a Member of Parliament, and this will be done in line with the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).  I may need your data to progress an issue on your behalf or respond to a policy query from you.  Where I have been given information about other people I will use this information when it is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest.   


For some activities, I also need to process more sensitive personal information about you for reasons of substantial public interest as set out in the Data Protection Act 2018. It is necessary for me to process this more sensitive information for a number of reasons including:   

  • to carry out key functions as set out in law; or  

  • in order to protect your vital interests or the vital interests of others in circumstances.  


I do not use automated processing or profiling.  


Who will you share my data with?  


I may pass your personal data on to relevant third-party bodies to assist in my enquiries on your behalf, such as government departments, local authorities, etc.  This will be done in agreement with you unless I am required to pass on your data by law or in compelling circumstances such as preventing you from harm.  Any third parties that I may share your data with are obliged to keep your details securely, under GDPR, and to use them only to undertake the service they provide you on our behalf. When they no longer need your data to fulfil this service, they will dispose of the details in line with their procedures.  


I may pass your personal data on to third-party service providers contracted to my office in the course of dealing with you, such as the providers of software, email facilities and online data storage, all of which are obliged to keep your details securely.  


How long will my data be held?  


I will store your data securely for as long as I hold office as Member of Parliament for Glenrothes and Central Fife, unless you ask me to erase it and I agree.  


What are my rights under data protection law?  


At any point while I am in possession of or processing your personal data as a Public Task, you, the data subject, have the following rights:  

  • Right of access – you have the right to request a copy of the information that I hold about you.  This will be treated as a Subject Access Request and I will respond to your request within one calendar month.  I may ask you to provide identification such as passport, driving licence, birth certificate, utility bill (from last 3 months), etc. prior to releasing your data.  


  • Right of rectification – you have a right to correct data that I hold about you that is inaccurate or incomplete.  


  • Right to restriction of processing – if for example you are contesting the accuracy of the data I hold on you, you can ask for restriction of processing while this is verified.  


  • Right to be forgotten - While I am processing your data on the basis of a Public Task you do not have an automatic right to be forgotten (i.e. to have your data erased) however as a public servant I will comply with a request to delete your data unless there are compelling circumstances to prevent me from doing so.  


  • Right to object – I will not use your data for direct marketing.  However you do have the right to object to me processing your data and must give specific reasons why you are objecting which I will consider and respond to within one month.  


  • Right to judicial review - in the event that I refuse your request under rights of access or you wish to raise an objection to my processing of your data, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner's Office, who can be contacted by post at: Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF. By phone on 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745. You can visit their website for more information at  

bottom of page